Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Winter

It's been an unusually severe winter in these parts. Southern Connecticut is not known for long bouts of cold and snow, but this year the ground has been blanketed in white for weeks. Most people despise it. They say, I can't wait for Spring, but I like it. It's a distraction. It puts a monkey wrench in life, throws the world on it's head. Going out in the frigid temperature gives people pause. You don't just open the door, and walk out. You must put on your coat, gloves, hat. If it has just snowed, you need to shovel a walk to the car. You have to brush the snow off the car, turn it on so that the inside is heated up to a cozy temperature. When you drive, you must slow down, and use more caution. Some people don't, but they pay the price. It makes people think, be more mindful of things around them. You can't escape it - that's the nature of Nature. People can't control it. It dictates to people. In a sense, it speaks. Hopefully, some will listen.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I never thought of snow and cold that way before. I love the way you bring insights on life and reflect on the way that seasons change and mould us. There is something reminiscent of Robert Frost in your style. I am way too Emily Dickinson I suspect. Here in Wales and elsewhere in the UK, waters are still rising and subduing any hope of a frosty, snowy winter. Damp is the predominant focus with a underlying theme of high winds in mournful keys. Yesterday, here on campus, it was a little warmer with the first glimmers of daffodils. Here's hoping for a gentler and drier Spring, Hugs, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two weeks have passed, but snow still covers most of the yard. Here I am in March, but Spring seems like a ways off. I've been okay with the cold weather. I love how the stars shine so brightly in the sky. Winter mutes the world, perhaps even deadens reality. I enjoy the escape like a hibernating animal, but when the weather warms, I will wake and enjoy that season. I hope this note finds you well.

    ReplyDelete