Friday, April 12, 2013

April

It is assumed that Spring is a joyous season, full of new life, renewals, and expectations for happy times to come. It is the start of journeys of sorts, like The Canterbury Tales, containing stories full of foppery and irony that illuminate truths about human nature in the most rib tickling and side-busting ways. I see that in April, but I also see it as a season that is a collection of memories, like a broken mirror, that is pieced together to form smashed psyches and landscapes of deep pain and regret, very much like The Waste Land. It's a sort of Yin-Yang, and I could never have one without the other.

For the first time in several years, I'm back East, not in Seattle. In Seattle, the coming of Spring is not as defined as in the East. There are two and a half or three seasons out there, and Winter to Spring is less dramatic. Seattle Winters are rainy affairs with little snow and mostly above freezing temperatures, so the effect of going from very cold to t-shirt warm days does not have the same flair. Perhaps it was because of this that I lost my appreciation for Spring. My life was a seed that was buried under the cold Winter ground, and I was waiting for rebirth, but I didn't know it. Like in The Waste Land, "Winter kept us warm, covering Earth in forgetful snow, feeding A little life with dried tubers." I was content in my hibernation, perhaps even afraid to venture out of my state because I feared more soul crushing. To be covered, insulated, and hidden was far better than being exposed.

Spring, or I should say, April, took me by surprise this year. I found it while walking the banks of the salt marsh across from where my father's parents once lived; in the low-tide channels that lazed in serpentine grace around the great big mud and grass island that filled the marsh. Swans, ducks, and geese nested on its furry back. Snowy Egrets and a Great Blue Heron stalked for food. I heard April in the wind that talked through the trees in a soothing voice of hope that said, still your heart, trust yourself, believe in who you've come to be. But most of all, I felt April in the sun on my skin, so warm, energizing, giving me strength to recreate my life anew.

4 comments:

  1. In hospital as I am at present, your lovely post brought a breath of fresh air and the outdoors into my world of compression dressings, dissolving stitches, dilations and catheters..

    Hugs, Jane xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, thank goodness and all the saints in heaven the operation is over. I know the recovery will be filled with pain and soreness, but little by little... How are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm re-reading your post. This is one of those great advantages of blogging, your work is re-readable and more enduring. I love your observation

    'still your heart, trust yourself, believe in who you've come to be'

    that thought is very apposite at the moment. We fling ourselves into change in all kinds of ways. For the prudent there is always carefully calculated risk. Even so, there is always an element of pure chance and the unknown. Recent events have brought that into sharp focus. I'm beginning to realise that moving forward through newness and change involves embracing the changes that chance brings too.

    Hugs, Jane xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I work myself back into the work-a-day world, I face the anxiety of past experiences. I am trying to live in the moment, and think, those experiences were in the past. This is the present. This is a new time, a new chance to succeed. I'm focusing on that rather than saying this happened then, oh, no... It can't be erased, but it can be null and voided. I can replace the negativity with, Yes, I will succeed.

    ReplyDelete